This recipe is intended to basically be your whole meal. However, if you take the chicken out, you could very easily do this as just a side dish. I myself, like all of it together! The kids even love it. Now that’s saying something.
What You Will Need
- (1) Pkg. Frozen Broccoli
- (1) 2.5 Lb. Bag Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- (2) 8 Oz. Pkgs. Shredded Mexican Cheese
- (1)12 Lb. Bag Frozen Hash Browns (Halfway Thawed)
- (2) 10 Oz. Can Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- (You can use Cream of Chicken if you would like) or one of each is even better!
- (1) 8 oz. Tub of Sour Cream
- (1) Medium Onion
- Steak Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- Big pan to Boil Chicken Breast in (with lid)
- 9×11 Baking Pan
Bring a large pan of water to a hard boil. Throw in about 2 tsp. of salt while water is boiling. Add the frozen chicken breast. Bring water back to a boil, and then turn the heat down to medium, and cover with lid. Cook the chicken breast at a low boil for about an hour. Once the chicken is done, remove it from the water and put it on a cutting board to the side. Do not cut into the chicken until it has cooled for at least 10 minutes. Cutting into hot meat will make the meat dry.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the halfway thawed hash browns, a tub of sour cream, both cans of soup, and 1 of the 8 oz. bags of shredded cheese first. Mix well.
Once you have that mixed, add a palm-full of Steak Seasoning, and stir in.
Chop onion to the desired size, (I prefer small) And add into the hash brown mixture.
Cut your chicken into desired size chunks, and put it next.
Now with the broccoli, I like to also have it about halfway thawed. You want to be able to chop it up too. Don’t cut it too small, you want to be able to taste it. Chop up just enough as to not have huge chunks. Add the broccoli last.
Getting Casserole Into The Oven
- Turn oven on at 375 degrees.
- Put your hash brown casserole mixture into a 9×11 baking pan. I like to use aluminum, but you can use glass if you prefer.
- Take the half stick of butter and cut it into chunks all over the top of the casserole. Lightly salt and pepper over the top of the butter.
- Pour the 2nd 8 oz. bag of shredded cheese all over the top. Make sure the cheese covers the entire top of the casserole.
- Put into the oven (uncovered) for about 30-40 minutes. If you like the cheese on your casserole to be a little browner in color, turn on the broiler, and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your cheesy hash brown potato casserole with broccoli and cheese and chicken!